If you are not getting the visibility you’d like on Google, here is a checklist to ensure search engines can find and index your website more easily…
- Set your Site’s Visibility – ensure the website pages that are public are set to be ‘index’-able
- Most websites have a robots.txt file where you give some instructions to Google. Ensure this file does not disallows your web content to be crawled.
- Submit your website to search engines (Google, Yahoo/Bing, Local Listings)
- Ensure your naked domain is redirected properly to the www subdomain (www.yourwebsite.com)
- Ensure your website have a sitemap (Go to http://www.yourwebsite.com/sitemap.xml – If a page appears with lots of text and links, you’re good to go!)
- Submit your Sitemap to Google (better yet, ensure your website will update your sitemap periodically whenever your content is updated)
- Increase your site’s importance and page rank withe these tips
- Create or Update Social Profiles by adding links to your website from your social sites
- Use search engine friendly URLs for your website pages (use http://www.yourwebsite.com/friendly_url and not http://www.yourwebsite.com/index.php?page=unfriendly_url)
- Ensure your website is logically structured with simple and clear navigation – this helps search engines understand what content you believe is important
Optimize your website to help Google index your content correctly –
Google likes indexing fast and efficient websites –
Why? When Google rank slow and inefficient sites, people use Google less!