If you are not getting the visibility you’d like on Google, here is a checklist to ensure search engines can find and index your website more easily…
- Set your Site’s Visibility – ensure the website pages that are public are set to be ‘index’-able
- Most websites have a robots.txt file where you give some instructions to Google. Ensure this file does not disallows your web content to be crawled.
- Submit your website to search engines (Google, Yahoo/Bing, Local Listings)
- Ensure your naked domain is redirected properly to the www subdomain (www.yourwebsite.com)
- Ensure your website have a sitemap (Go to http://www.yourwebsite.com/sitemap.xml – If a page appears with lots of text and links, you’re good to go!)
- Submit your Sitemap to Google (better yet, ensure your website will update your sitemap periodically whenever your content is updated)
- Increase your site’s importance and page rank withe these tips
- Create or Update Social Profiles by adding links to your website from your social sites
- Use search engine friendly URLs for your website pages (use http://www.yourwebsite.com/friendly_url and not http://www.yourwebsite.com/index.php?page=unfriendly_url)
- Ensure your website is logically structured with simple and clear navigation – this helps search engines understand what content you believe is important
Optimize your website to help Google index your content correctly –
Google likes indexing fast and efficient websites –
Why? When Google rank slow and inefficient sites, people use Google less!
If you have completed a listing on Google+ business, you can increase your local search rankings on Google Places by adding quality citations for your business online. There are hundreds of small Canadian listing sites (free or paid) offering limited value as they will send you zero traffic. Here is a compiled list of Canadian resources with solid page ranks (4 and above) and quality reputation to help build your online ranking and local marketing efforts.